Balanced power cylinder combustion on reciprocating engines is necessary for mechanical reliability and for emissions compliance. This entry level course provides both theory and practical explanation of balancing slow speed reciprocating engines.
Upon completion of this course the learner will be able to:
- List issues with the engine that cause cylinder-to-cylinder combustion differences
- Describe why and how to balance the power cylinders
- Discuss when and how often an engine should be balanced
- Describe the 5-step process for balancing the power cylinders
- Identify an acceptable range for determining best “as left” state of the engine when balanced
- Have knowledge of common symptoms and potential engine issues effecting balancing